Police Department Subdivisions
Traffic Enforcement Unit
The primary duty of the Traffic Enforcement Unit is to enforce traffic laws in Atlanta to reduce and help manage traffic collisions while keeping the flow of traffic as fluid as possible. T.E.U focuses in areas of high crash rate and areas of high D.U.I drivers. Speed is a key factor in T.E.U as our response times are unmatchable yet safe to the public. Our main focus is to keep the streets fluid for traffic, reduce D.U.I incidents, and respond to priority vehicle chase situations.
The goal of the Atlanta Port Authority is to ensure the safety and well being of all who travel as well as ensuring the safe travel of legitimate commodities is not interrupted or put in danger. Through the use of a specialized team of Atlanta Police Department, we protect and serve the citizens of Georgia, whether it be by Air, Land or Sea. We support the APD in multiple ways such as stated below:
• Vessel Pursuits
• Public Transportation Security
• Airport and Port Security
• Search and Rescue
• Evidence Recovery
Special Intelligence Division
The goal of the Special Intelligence Division Investigators is the protection of life and property, containment of crime, preservation of the peace, and investigation of criminal activities ultimately leading to the righteous and just prosecution of offenders. SID Investigators can also join teams including:
• Patrolling with a canine (Canine)
• Warrant Executions (Warrant Interdiction Units)
• Protection and Defense against Assassinations of High Value Targets in escorts (special service unit)
• Intelligence Gathering through Undercover Investigators and operations (Covert Operations)
• Apprehending suspects that are involved with Auto Crimes (Auto Theft Units)
• Investigators that go further into crimes related to drugs, prostitution, and gun smuggling (Vice Unit)
• We also continue to teach our members new skills and techniques through our Advanced Training program.
The purpose of the PCU is to further train Cadets in the field of law enforcement that was touched upon by their basic GF LEO training. We take those lessons that the Cadets were taught in basic training and build/refine it by working with each Cadet to build a lesson plan around their strengths and weaknesses and we in the PCU execute on those plans together with every Cadet as one unit to ensure that by the time the officer reaches the rank of Police Officer I they are prepared for their journey ahead in the APD.